Sunday, May 29, 2011

PART 1 "My Life with Chris": Our Fun First Date at the Cemetery...

"My Life with "Chris"
Part 1: Our Fun First Date at the Cemetery...
A Blog Journal About Our Whacky Lives by Kimberly Brouillette, MA

The Original Site of
Rocky River Pres. Church
1751-1776 
Hello, my name is Kimberly Brouillette…
Before I begin, I want to let you know that I am well educated, with a BS in Earth Science and MA in Biblical Studies. I say this to establish that I am not a naïve or uneducated person willing to believe anything on the Internet. I’m even the contributing editor for a published book by Pam Tolen, “Abram’s Journey: A Quest for the Stars,” and have edited approximately 25 books for Comfort Publishing. I’m an expert graphic designer, copywriter & editor, and my day job is in marketing & web development. (Yes, I know…Not even close to my area of education, but at least I’m diverse.) My point is, I am definitely not insane, and everything I tell you will be as it happened to either me or those with me.
Until about two years ago, I don’t remember any unusual encounters that stand out. I lived a fairly “normal” middle-class American life with the normal bumps and bruises, as well as joys and sorrows that most people feel through the years. However, all of that changed since meeting Chris Matheny about two years ago.
This Information Lists
Chris' Ancestor,
Archibald White
It was in August 2009, when Chris and I talked on the phone for the first time. We had an amazing conversation that ranged from the fact we happened to go to the same high school, to many tidbits about our lives. Our conversation lasted a total of 12 solid hours! Yes, I know...That’s insanely long. However, the more we talked, the more we found out the many things we had in common. Our interests form quite an eclectic conglomerate. Needless to say, I had rarely found someone else that I could talk to on that conversation level for so long.
It baffled us as we found out how often our lives had intertwined repeatedly, yet we never really known each other prior to that moment. We even had many of the same closest friends, yet we didn’t hang out together. I’m not sure why we didn’t become friends after that, but it just never happened.

We even went to the same high school in Concord, NC, although he was in the grade behind mine. The first time I remember seeing him was about the time I was 16. He walked across the grand central hall, and I distinctly remember thinking that he was cute and that I wouldn’t mind talking to him. The first time he remembers seeing me was at a mutual friend’s birthday party, and playing “Connect Four,” when we were 12 and 13. I can’t speak for him as to why he never asked me out. It just wasn’t the right time, I suppose. 
Chris Matheny Next to His Ancestor's New Grave Marker
One of the topics that stands out was that of the Cabarrus Black Boys during the Revolutionary War. I won’t get into all of the details here, but in a nutshell, a group of Revolutionists in the 18th century were combating the British Red Coats in the Cabarrus County area. Chris’ ancestors were part of that small band, known as the Cabarrus Black Boys. (The reason for the name was that they wore black paint on their faces to help hide in the dark.) Another topic was that one of his ancestors was Archibald White, the first Presbyterian Deacon of Rocky River Presbyterian Church in Concord, NC. That church is where both my father and grandfather are buried. I know this may seem irrelevant, but I assure you it is.

Original Tombstone for
Archibald White
Well, we talked on the phone all night. After completely draining several phone batteries, we finally gave up, and talked on the landline. By 7 a.m., we were tired, yet not wanting the conversation to end. It was a sunny day, so we decided to meet for brunch, and then take a walk in a new county park. All of this seems normal; yet going to that park changed everything for us both.
We walked down the trail until we saw an unusual, fenced-in square in the middle of that park. We both love history and so we checked it out. To his amazement, it was the original homestead for his ancestor that he had spoke of the previous night. In fact, it was also the original site for Rocky River Presbyterian Church, of which Archibald White was the founding deacon. In addition, several graves are there, but they are so old and worn that no one knows who they were.

Finding this spawned a complete twist in our day. I remembered a Revolutionary Era cemetery for that same church near my mother’s house. With a new united motivation, we spent the rest of the afternoon on a quest to visit the various cemeteries in the area. To our amazement, we found five of the seven Cabarrus County Black Boys, including his own ancestors dating back to the Revolutionary War. The really cool thing about it was that none of his family knew exactly where their ancestors were buried; so, Chris and his family was thrilled at the discovery.    
Kimberly Brouillette (Me) Enjoying a Visit
To the Cemetery with Chris Matheny
To this day, we still enjoy going to visit everything historical and talking hours every day. We still talk about how all of our decisions that day seemed serendipitous. It was a new park that happens to have a gravyard inside it; not to mention the fact that we found his ancestors too! What are the odds of all that happening on a first date? I don’t think they’re very likely.
Our first date was very fitting for our relationship. Today, we are still each other’s best friend, and we still go to graveyards. Now, we also do it just for the thrill of the “hunt.”

P.S.-I hope you join us for our adventures in our upcoming webcast show, “What Lies Beyond? A Quest for the Truth,” which is in pre-production now. You can also find RIP & WLB on Facebook. We would love to hear from you.

Read Part 2, "SODA You Believe Now?"


Read all the parts of "My Haunted Life," based on true events by Chris Matheny. 
Read the other parts to "My Life with Chris," written by Kimberly Brouillette. 
Part 4 Coming Soon!

Also, read our blog journal, "My Haunted Life," written by Chris Matheny. 


NEWLY REVISED Part 1: "Hello, My Name is Chris Matheny..."

Part 2: "The Thing at the Top of the Stairs"



4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! I am a cemetery freak and adore my historic sites. I hope to find a man who would love going to them with me. What a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I'm always nervous when I post the first installment in a segment. I want to write what people will enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your story that was very interested. And I know that you have BS degree but I never have. I graduated only diploma and never go to any college because it's not my goal of work. Until I entered Art Institutes from Pittsburgh in 2010 of January, and 1 year and half, I withdrawal. I figured out what my problem was English.
    They can see that I am very good skillful with adobe photoshop that all were passed but English is failure. I am on "second" languages of English and my ASL are excellent. That's different. I hope you understand about me. If not, just cool and good talking with you, forward to see your facebook with your news.
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed your LOVE STORY vey much, KIMBERLY and CHRIS. I really love CEMETERY WALKS, too.

    GLADIS SIMONIAN MINASSIAN

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback. You can also email us at whatliesbeyond4u@yahoo.com. Thank you!

Chris & Kim

APY 60
Save up to 90% on Used Textbooks at BarnesandNoble.com. Shop Now!
PhotoXpress.com - Best affordable, royalty-free high resolution stock photos and vectors. 25 XXL downloads for $37.50/month.  More plans to choose from. Subscriptions as low as $9.99.
banner